Sunday 8 May 2011

Poker, travelling & books

It's been a long time since I've updated my blog & I've had good reason to do so which I'm certain has been affecting my ability to play better poker. I've finally realised how results oriented I've become, but better than that I've realised why & I think that has really been the key to improving.

For a long time I've used several types of media, such as twitter, forums etc. to show people my great results. However, after hitting inevitable bad patches & my sexy graphs going limp I go off the radar & don't publish the details. I don't discuss where I am in my progress or why I'm doing what I'm doing, I literally go underground. I'm pretty confident this is holding me back in my development and I've finally decided to change my thought process when it comes to using social media as a tool to communicate.

So, there is my confessional. On to more pressing matters, such as New York!
There is only 3 weeks until we go & I'm still planning on hitting a ton of NYC bars while I'm out there. Got my eye on a couple, such as McSorely's Old Ale House which boasts being the oldest ale house in NYC. Should be pretty cool to drink in the same bar as Abe Lincoln frequented. Also looking at visiting PDT just for the sheer novelty value of the entry method of getting into the bar via a wooden phone booth in a hot dog restaurant. Pretty sure I'm going to have to hit a sports bar in NYC too, not sure where to go tbh, but I'm sure I'll find somewhere. Had a few suggestions such as Bar XII, Mickey Mantle's & The Mean Fiddler. No matter which place I check out, there is almost certainly going to be an awesome trip report after!.


Not sure how it's going to be possible to top this trip. Oh wait, yes I do, with a honeymoon to VEGASBABY!

Our plan is to hit Vegas at beginning of August to celebrate both my 30th & our honeymoon. Not booked the trip yet, but already have a reservation at N9ne Steakhouse! Plan is to stop at the Aria, goes without saying I plan on getting some poker action going. Hoping to have some fun, I know I'm a live donk whether it's tourneys or cash, so as long as I lose as much as it costs to buy the alcohol, I'll treat it as break-even!

Last thing high on my agenda is a new book out that I've been waiting for what seems a lifetime to get my hands on. The Mental Game of Poker has just been released, written by Jared Tendler & Barry Carter it promises to be a ground breaking book on the mental aspects of the game of poker. Given this has been a weak area of mine (and most other players no doubt) it could well be as valuable as Sklansky's Theory of Poker. Both Jared & Barry held a joint video blog to confirm the book is now shipping so I expect to have my copy in the next week. Once I have a copy in my greasy palms I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the book, until then I encourage anyone to get a copy from MentalGameofPoker.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comments, hope you and Jenny have fun in Vegas, if its your first time then this website is your bible:

    http://www.smartervegas.com/

    Join their mailing list, loads of last minute bargains.

    Prob see u early this week with the book

    ReplyDelete