Friday 23 April 2010

Improving your game: HU vs A review partner

Yesterday I had arranged to play a couple of pratice games against a 2+2er I met from one of the month review sessions. The plan was to play te games using our normal games, make a few notes & give tips on what we used as the leaks in our respective games. After this we planned to swap the HHs so we could find out what the other player had & if the reads we thought we had were infact correct.

To get going, I decided to jump into a game & get joined by the other player. As the games were moving at a steady pace I figured I'd join a couple of games before we got in one together & I'd spew of the others so I could concentrate on the one between us. Good plan, failed exectution! I reg'd in 4 games & we still hadn't sat each other! I've never 4 tables HU but managed to run 3-1 which was a bit of a result!

After I'd finished up, we took to the $5 games & managed to sit first try & off we went. The game went pretty well from both sides & was a very testing match, not too many major hands apart from a super loose call. Hand played out:
10/20, eff stx 70BBs
Hero (SB): 67o - raise to 60
Villain (BB): Calls
FLOP: As6cKs [Pot 120]
Hero: bets 80
Villain calls
TURN: 7d [Pot 280]
Hero: bets 140
Villain: calls
River: 8s [Pot 560]
Hero: bets 220
Villain: raises 500
Hero: Calls
Hero: mucks
Villain shows 9sTs

After talking it through it was blatently a horrible call. There was a ton of hands that had me crushed, he'd been playing tight so far in the match & I spewed of 1/2 my stack. In the end I lost A3s vs K4s with effective stacks of 14BBs.

We spoke on Skpe afterwards & he was impressed with how my game had come along since reviewing the HH at the beggining of the month.

I guess this blog entry is a self indulgent entry at how well my game has developed this month, but the point of it was playing someone you know is useful for both of you if you are both pretty equal in ability as you can try out your game on someone who will give you honest realtime feedback & you also get to see the hands you were convinced you were behind & made the fold.

This has been a masive confidence boost for me, hopefully I can use this confidence to propel me & finish strong.

- Good luck at the tables.

No comments:

Post a Comment